Current Research Associates
- Carlos D. Castillo
- Jun-Cheng Chen
Current Ph.D. Students and Thesis Topics
- Boyu Lu, Vision for Social Networks.
- Rajeev Ranjan,
- Amit Kumar,
- Hongyu Xu, Social Networks for Computer Vision.
- Arthita Ghosh, Compressive Sensing of Microscopy Images.
- JingXiao Zheng,
- Ankan Bansal
- Anirudh Nanduri
- Lee Stearns, Computer Vision Technologies for the Blind.
- Navaneeth Bodla
- Hui Ding
- Wei-An Lin
- Yogesh Balaji
- Joshua Gleason
- Steve Schwarz
- Sai Rambhatla
- Pirazh Khorramshahi
- Prithviraj Dhar
- Kaan Elgin
Former Research Scientists and Associates
Zheng, Asst., Associate and Senior Research Scientist (1992-2005)
Philippe Burlina, Asst. Research Scientist (1994-1999)
Meth, Research Associate (1998-2004)
Hassan Shekarforoosh, Research Associate (2000-2002)
Shekhar, Asst. Research Scientist (1998-2002)
Roy Chowdhury, Research Associate (2003-2004)
Kruger, Research Scientist
- Gang Qian,
Research Associate (2003-2004)
- Vishal M.
- Azadeh Alavi
Graduated Ph.D. Students and Thesis Topics
Sharma, August 1984, Modern
2-D Spectral Estimation Using Non-causal Models. (Professor, Indian Institute of
Technology, Kanpur, India)
Singer, May 1985, Machine
Perception of Partially Specified Planar Shapes. (Senior Scientist, Raytheon,
Electro-optical Data Systems Group, El Segundo, CA).
Jinchi, December 1986, Image
Restoration Algorithms Using 2-D Gaussian Markov Random Field Models. (Professor, Military College in
Chatterjee, July 1987, Synthesis,
Analysis and Segmentation of Natural Textures. (Multimedia Company, Hollywood, CA).
T. Frankot, December 1987, Computational
Vision Algorithms for SAR Imagery. (Senior Staff Engineer, Raytheon
Company, Tucson, AZ).
J. Broida, December 1987, Estimating
the Kinematics and Structure of a Moving Object from a Sequence of
(Was a Scientist, Hughes Aircraft Company, Radar Systems Group, El
Segundo, CA, Deceased 08/96.).
Simchony, December 1988, Parallel
Deterministic and Stochastic Algorithms for Some Computer Vision
(Chief Engineer, ECI Telecom Ltd., Israel).
Yi-Tong, December 1988, Artificial
Neural Networks for Some Computer Vision Problems. (Consultant, San Diego, CA)
R. Hansen, Jr., December 1988, Parametric Spectrum
Estimation for Contaminated Random Fields. (Chief Engineer, Electronic Combat
Development Branch, Edwards Airforce Base, CA).
Rangarajan, Jan. 1991, Representation
and Recovery of Discontinuities in Some Early vision Problems. (Associate Professor, Department of
Computer Science, Univ. of Florida, Gainesville).
Young, May 1991, 3-D
Motion Estimation Using a Sequence Binocular of Noisy Images. (Thomson Electronics, CA).
Venkateswar, May 1991, Hierarchical
Representation, Matching and Search for Some Computer Vision Problems. Was in Texas Instruments.
(Co-Founder of a small company in Bay area).
Rignot, May 1991, Segmentation
of Multifrequency and Polarmetric Synthetic Aperture Radar Data. (Senior Member, Technical Staff, Jet
Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA.)
Zheng, August 1991, Robust
Algorithms for Estimation of Illuminant and Shape from Shading. (Vice-President, Advanced
Technology, SET Corporation, Greenbelt, MD).
Manjunath, August 1991, Perceptual
Grouping and Segmentation Using Neural Networks. (Professor, Department of Electrical
and Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA).
Chandrashekhar, 1991, 3-D
Motion Estimation and Passive Navigation Using a Long Sequence. (Free-lance writer)
Wu, 1993, Estimation
of Motion and Structure Using Long Sequences of Noisy Images. (Prodigy, New York).
Burlina, 1994, Time-to
Collision Estimation and Navigation Using Long Sequences. Technical Staff, Applied Physics
Kwon, 1994, Region
Based Coding of Images. (Technical Staff, Samsung
Der, March 1995, Automatic
Target Recognition Using Passive Infrared and Laser Radar Sensors. (The Aerospace Corporation.
Krishnamachari, June 1995, Hierarchical
Markov Random Field Models for Image Analysis. (Start up Company, Atlanta,
Yao, September 1995, Electronic
Stabilization and Feature Tracking in Long Image Sequences. (Technical Staff, Pacific Bell,
Liu, September 1995, A
General Motion Model and Spatio temporal Filters for 3-D Motion
(Technical Staff, ETAK Company, Palo Alto, CA)
Lin, Dec. 1995 Model
Supported Exploitation of Aerial Images, Technical Staff, Microsoft
Corporation, Seattle, WA.(Computer Science)
Etemad, May 1996, Multiscale
Discriminant Analysis and Recognition of Signals and Images (Technical Staff, Hughes Network
Systems, Germantown, MD).
Morimoto, March 1997, Electronic
Image Stabilization, Associate Professor, Univ. of Sao
Paulo, Brazil. (Computer Science)
Kuttikad, Dec. 1997, Site
Models for SAR Image Exploitation. (Technical Staff, ETAK Company, Palo
Phillips, March 1998, SAR
(Technical Staff, Northrop-Grumman, Baltimore, MD).
Srinivasan, Dec. 1998, Structure
(Technical Staff, Microsoft Corporation, Seattle, WA).
Meth, Dec. 1998, SAR Feature Extraction and Target Classification.
(Scientist, SET Corporation, Greenbelt, MD, 20740).
Madhav Govindu, Nov. 1999, Probabilistic
Models for Motion Estimation (Freelance writer and Social
Srinivasan, August 1999, Video
Zhao, Dec. 1999, Robust
(Technical Staff, David Sarnoff Corporation. Princeton, NJ).
Li, July 2000, Human
and Object Verification in Video (Assistant Professor, Computer
Science Dept, Arizona State University).
Banerjee, August 2000, Target
Detection in Foliage (Technical Staff, Applied Physics
Moon, August 2001, Shape -Encoded
Particle Filtering for Object Detection and Tracking (Startup company, College Station,
Qian, Dec.2001, Robust
From Motion Using Video Sequences (Assistant Professor, Media Arts,
Arizona State University.
Wexler, December 2000, Projective
Geometric Techniques for Video Analysis, Research Staff, Microsoft
Corporation. (Computer Science)
Roy Chowdhury, June 2002, Structure
Assistant Professor, EE, UC Riverside, CA.
Liu, August 2003, Hierachical Structure and Movement Estimation,
Technical Staff, Object Video, VA. (Computer Science).
Kale, Nov. 2003, Gait-Based Human Identification, Siemens Medical
Systems, Bangalore, India.
Parameswaran, April 2004, View Invariants for Activity Modelling and
Recognition, Technical Staff, Siemens Corporate Research, Princeton,
NJ. (Computer Science).
Kevin Zhou, July 2004 Unconstrained FaceRecognition,Technical Staff,
Siemens Corporate Research, Princeton, NJ.
Vaswani, July 2004, Change Detection in Partially Observed
Dynamical Systems with Applications in Activity Recognition,
Assistant Professor, ECE Iowa State University.
- Amit Agrawal, May 2006, Research
Scientist, MERL, Boston, MA.
- Jian Li, Dec. 2006, Technology
Associate, Goldman Sachs, New
- Yang Ran, August 2006, Research
Scientist, SET Corporation,
- N. Cuntoor, May 2007, Activity
modeling and Recognition, KitWare,
Joo, May 2007, Multiobject tracking, event detection
and activity modeling, Google, Mountain View, CA.(Computer Science)
- Joshua Broadwater, May 2007, Anomaly
detection in hyperspectral
images, JHU Applied Physics Laboratory, MD.
Guo, August 2007, Research Scientist, ObjectVideo, VA. (Computer
- ZhangFeng Yue, August 2007, FastVideo
LLC, Group Leader, Columbia,
- Aravind Sundaresan, Dec. 2007, Member
of the Staff, SRI
International Inc, Menlo Park, CA.
- Gaurav Aggarwal, Feb. 2008,
recognition, ObjectVideo, Reston, VA. (Computer Science).
- Ashok Veeraraghavan, Aug. 2008, Staff
Scientist, MERL, Boston,
- Narayanan Ramanathan, Dec. 2008, Face
recognition across aging,
Cernium Corporation, VA.
- Dalton Rosario, Semi-parametric
statistical methods for target detection, August 2008, ARL. (Applied
Hao, August 2009, Robust
methods for visual tracking and model alignment, Member of Staff, Kodak Corporation, Rochester, NY.
Sankaranarayanan, Sept. 2009, Efficient inference in multi-camera systems,
Research Associate, Rice University, Houston, TX.
Turaga, October 2009, Statistical
and geometric modeling of spatio-temporal patterns for video
understanding, Asst. Research Scientist, Univ. of Maryland, College
Shao, December 2009, Object
tracking and mensuration in surveillance videos, Member of Staff,
Google, Inc., Mountain View, CA.
Biswas, Dec. 2009, Statistical/Geometric
techniques for object representation and recognition,
Assistant Research Scientist, Univ. of Notre Dame, IN.
Ramachandran, May 2010, Video Processing with Additional Information,
Member of Technical Staff, Qualcomm, San Diego, CA
Patel, August 2010, Sparse and Redundant Representations for Inverse
Problems and Recognition, Assistant Research
scientist, UMIACS, UMD.
F. Abdelkader, August 2010, Activity Representation from video Using
Statistical Models on Shape Manifolds, Asst. Professor,
Suez-Canal University, Egypt.
Li, August 2011, Segmentation, Recognition and Alignment of
Collaborative Group Motion, Post doctoral researcher, Harvard
University, Boston, MA.
Gopalan, August 2011, Model-driven and Data-driven Approaches for some
Object Recognition Problems, Member of Technical Staff,
Mitra, August 2011, Statistical Models and Optimization Algorithms for
H-dimensional Computer Vision Problems, Post doc, Electrical
Computer Engineering, Rice University.
Reddy, August 2011, Sparse Acquisition and Reconstruction for Some
Computer Vision Problems, Post doc, EECS, Univ. of
Yu Liu, December 2011, Discrete Optimization Methods for Image
Segmentation and Matching, Visiting Researcher, MERL, Boston,
Shroff, August 2012, Efficient Sensing, Summarization and
Classification of Videos, Member of Technical Staff, Qualcomm,
Qiu, January 2013, Sparse Dictionary Learning and Domain
Adaptation for Face and Action Recognition, Postdoc, Duke University,
Pillai , March 2013, Learning Visual Classifiers from Limited Labeled
Images, Memebr of Technical Staff, A9 (Subsidiary of Amazon), Mountain
Taheri, August 2013, Subspace Representations for Robust Face and
Facial Expression Recognition, Memebr of Technical Staff,
Digital Signal Corporation, Chantilly, VA.
Nguyen, August 2013, Non-linear and Sparse Representations for
Multi-Modal Recognition, Considering offers.
Chen, August 2013, Discriminative Learning and Recognition Using
Dictionaries, Interviewing for jobs in USA and Taiwan.
Wu, August 2013, Dictionaries and Manifolds for Face
recognition across Illumination, Aging and Quantization, Member of
Technical Staff, Microsoft Research, Redmond, Seattle.
- Nazre Batool, December 2013, Modeling and Analysis of Wrinkles on Aging Human Faces, Post Doc., INRIA, Sophia-Antipolis, France.
- Dave Shaw, August 2014, Regularization Methods for High-dimensional Inference, Post Doc., CMU, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Huy Tho Ho, August 2014, Face Recognition and Facial Semantic Analysis from Unconstrained Visual Data, Apple, Cupertino, CA.
- Sumit Shekhar, August 2014, Sparse Methods for Robust and Efficient Visual Recognition, Adobe, Bangalore, India.
- Garrett Warnell, August 2014, Adaptive Sensing and Processing for Some Computer Vision Problems, Army Research Laboratory, Adelphi, MD.
- Ming Du, Dec 2014, Recognition of Faces from Single and Multi-View Videos, A9, Palo Alto, CA.
- Ashish Srivastava, Dec 2014, Sparse Representation Discriminative Dictionaries and Projections for Visual Classification, Member of Technical Staff, VideoIQ, Boston, MA.
- Jie Ni, May 2015, Restoration and Domain Adapatation for Unconstrained Face Recognition.
- Kaustav Nandy, May 2015, Segmentation and Informatics in Multi-dimensions; Fluorescence Optical Microscopy Images (Scientist, Leidos Corporation, Frederick, MD).
- Jingjing Zheng, Dec. 2015, Domain Transfer Learning for Object and Action Recognition (GE Global, Schenectady, NY).
- Xavier Gibert Serra, May 2016 (Successfully defended on 11/18/2015), Anomaly Detection in Noisy Images (Google, Mountain View, CA).
- Kota Hara, Dec 2016 (Successfully defended on 08/08/2016), Deep Neural Networks and Regression Models for Object Detection and Pose Estimation, Apple, CA.
- Raviteja Vemulapalli, Dec 2016 (Successfully defended on 08/08/2016), Geometric Representations and Deep Gaussian Conditional Random Field Networks for Computer Vision, Research Scientist, Google, Seattle.
- Ching-Hui Chen, Tracking and Recognition in a Camera Network.
- Chris Reale, Heterogenous Face Recognition.
- Jun-Cheng Chen (Successfully defended in 12/2016), Robust Representations for Unconstrained Face Verification and Its Applications ( Research associate, University of Maryland)
- Heng Zhang Active Authentication
- Mohammed E. Fathy Salem (Successfully defended on 01/16/2018), Sparse Representations and Feature Learning for Image Set Classification and Correspondence Estimation (Google, Inc, Mountain View, CA)
- Maya Kabkab (Successfully defended on 03/14/2018), Learning Along the Edge of Deep Neural Networks (Waymo (affiliated to Google) Mountain View, CA)
- Emily Hand (Successfully defended on 05/18/2018), Learning Explainable Facial Features from Noisy Unconstrained Visual Data (Asst. Professor at University of Nevada, Reno)
- Swami Sankaranarayanan (Successfully defended on 06/07/2018), Towards Robust and Domain Invariant Feature Representations in Deep Learning (Butterfly Network, NYC)
- Pouya Samangouei (Successfully defended on 24/07/2018), Machine Learning of Facial Attributes using Explainable, Secure, and Generative Adversarial Networks (Butterfly Network, NYC)
- Upal Mahbub (Successfully defended on 08/14/2018), Multi-Modal Active Authentication of Smartphone Users (Qualcomm Inc, San Diego)
Graduated M.S. Students and Thesis Topics
Lau, 1992 Computation
of Optic Flow and Depth with Known Motion.
- G. Cheesman, 1992 Classification of Millimeter
Wave Radar Signatures.
- H. Singh, 1992 An Improved Algorithm for
Shape form Shading
(Aware Inc, MA).
Sabio, 1993 Target
Recognition in Ultrawide Band Images (SAIC, Arlington, VA).
Segmentation and Recognition of Faces (General Electrical, Chicago).
Wason, 1994 Enhancement
and Minutiae Detection in Fingerprints. (SAIC, VA).
Parulekar, 1995 Parallel
Algorithms for Classification of Remotely Sensed Imagery (Shearson-Lehman).
Balakrisky, 1995 Performance
Characterization of Image Stabilization Algorithms (National Institute of Standards and
Stevens, 1997, Enhancement
and Matching of Fingerprints ( LNK Corporation, MD).
Mahmood, 1999, Active
Vision for LADAR ATR (Wireless Company in S. Carolina).
Ayers, 2000, Activity
Monitoring in Video (SAIC, MD).
Gupta, 3-D Face
Modeling Using Contours, (Object Video, VA).
Frigole-Roma, Image Stabilization for Unmanned Air Vehicles.
Ballcells-Capellades, Video Activity Analysis.
- T. Yamamoto, 3-D Motion Analysis for
Sports Video (Hitachi, Japan)U. Akdemir, Ontology for Activity
Modeling (Technical Staff Siemens Corporate Research, Princeton, NJ).
Akdemir, Ontology for Activity Modeling (Technical Staff Siemens
Research, Princeton, NJ)
Trias, Processing Aerial Images (Engineer, SET Corporation, MD).
Nandy, Simulation of Human Movement (Engineer, National Cancer
Institute, Frederic, MD).
Rosenbush, Detection of Unattended Packages Using Attributed Grammars
(SET Corporation, Greenbelt, MD).
- P. Vageeswaran, 2013, Blur and Illumination-Robust Face Recognition via Set Theoretic Characterization.
- Ankit Jain, 2013, Watch-List Based Classification System (Bloomberg, NY).
- Alex Krishnan Cramer (NASA Goddard, Greenbelt, MD).
- Kang-Hao Peng.
- Sayantan Sarkar, 2018
- Sriram Vasudevan, 2018